Martini Birthday

Oh boy, did I have fun today! I was sort of procrastinating on this one, but I *had* to get it done today and then inspiration hit me! Thankfully! 'Bout time, lol! But...I think that ultimately, it was well worth the wait, and I hope you do, too!

This is a 40th birthday card for a co-worker. She turns 40 on Tuesday and of course, we're doing it up for her. I've never been asked to make a card for anyone at work, but they know I make cards and this was a special occasion.

I did everything in Inkscape and SCAL. The "40" font is Showcard Gothic. The "you're not" is 1 BeanSprout DNA. That one was really tricky to cut. I welded the "40" in Inkscape and then created the three additional layers. I could have done this in SCAL alone, but I wanted to size everything and make sure it looked pleasing to me before cutting. Similarly, I could have typed, welded, and shadowed the "you're not" in SCAL alone.

I thought I had some martini paper, but after reorganizing my paper on Saturday, I couldn't find it. Boo hoo! So I was contemplating whether I should just make a martini glass and if so, out of what, and then it hit me! Why not a 3-D martini glass? I have GBC plastic covers...they're pretty thick, but they cut with my Cricut using multi-cut. But how to design the glass so that it sticks out but is still adhered to the card? Maybe if there are a couple of tabs on each end, they can be inserted through the card and folded so they stay put? So...off to Inkscape to design the glass.

Hmm....wonder what I could use to make it look sort of like there's a drink inside? I have transparencies...I could print the glass on a transparency and cut it out. If it has the same curve as the glass, it should more or less stay put. But I could put an olive in there, too, and maybe somehow camoflauge any adhesive I use to keep the "liquid" in place. And hey...look...I have this paper that looks kind of like a toothpick so I can just cut this sliver, stick it on a green oval so it looks like it's coming out of the oval, cut a tiny red oval and voila -- olive on a toothpick!

So anyway...this is the final card. I really had fun making this. Now I have to figure out how to make a 1" thick envelope to accommodate the glass!

Oh! The inside of the card says "You're 22 with 18 years of experience! Happy Birthday!" I really hope she likes it!

 

10 comments:

Scrappy said...

your so creative! I love this card what a neat idea and I think she is going to love it too! Who wouldn't!!!!

Sheri said...

You are impressing the heck out of me! Very cute card!!!

Mindy (Scrappy and Piggy) said...

Love it and I mean love it! I don't think I could give that one away

Mindy (Scrappy and Piggy) said...

Love it and I mean love it! I don't think I could give that one away

Heather said...

Awesome Heather!!!

Christy said...

This is quite possibly the most fabulous thing you've ever done!!! At least the most creative idea with that darn glass for sure!!! FABULOUS

Dschrader said...

I love this!!!!!! How creative of you! I signed up for your friends group! Thanks for posting that info! I also downloaded your cut little valentine treat box! Thanks for that as well! I love your cards!
Donna

Jen said...

Super cute idea!!

Anonymous said...

what a great card. I bet it was a hit! Would it be possible to get the cut file for the glass?
Teresa

tmjohn10@yahoo.com

Lynn said...

Now, if I can learn to use inkscape and come up with things like this, I'll be happy. So appreciate all your help.


About Me

I'm a 40-something (WAIT...40-something? When did THAT happen?), married mother of two boys. I work full-time outside the home, but spend the little "me" time I have crafting. Oh, and collecting supplies, lol.

My Favorite
Things







www.fiskateers.com

Copyright Info

I post this stuff just to share what I've done, but all content included on my blog is copyright Heather Kosinski, unless the images themselves belong to others. You may copy my ideas to make and sell at craft fairs or to give away, but please give me credit if it was my idea, and please don't submit my ideas for publication, classes, or design contests.

Followers

Subscribe Via
Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe to
RSS Feed

Search This Blog

Visits since
January 17, 2010

Live Traffic Feed