Megan's Wedding and SCAL 2.0

Well, Todd at Craft Edge has done it again. He recently released Sure Cuts A Lot version 2.0 and added a BUNCH of features that really should have been in Design Studio since the beginning. And Design Studio still doesn't have them. From what I've read there are still a few bugs, but Todd reacts very quickly to bugs, so I'm sure the program will be perfect very soon. Todd could give many companies a class on customer service -- he's just very accommodating. He added such great things as REAL grouping, layers, the ability to have more than one mat...those are the biggies, but I know he added more stuff too. The upgrade is $30 for a limited time, or $100 to purchase. If you bought SCAL since June 22, the upgrade is free. Upgrades are only available through Craft Edge, but I believe you can find a better price for the software at Cutters Creek. If you have a Cricut -- any size -- this software is well worth the price to expand what you can cut almost infinitely!

Anyhoo...on to the card. I used SCAL, but not really any of its new fancy features. I just wanted to test it out. My husband's cousin got married last night, so I'm sure the card is late (I mailed it Thursday I think), but hopefully she likes it. I tried to use the amazingly talented Paulo's intricate heart frame, but I think I need a stickier mat. I need to figure that out because many of his designs are so beautifully intricate, and I just have to be able to cut them! I tried to cut it twice. Sigh. The solid heart portion cut fine, so I decided to use the two solids instead of my original idea.
I started with a Bazzill Basics 5 x 7 base in a cream color. I cut a 4.5 x 6.5 rectangle containing the "mr & mrs" from Canson pearlized paper using Cotillion font and SCAL. I cut a small piece of purple paper to put behind the pearl, so the purple would show through. I'm pretty sure purple was one of her colors because her invitation was printed in purple. It was much easier to do that than to cut the letters out and get them placed "just so", but I had to find a font that wouldn't cut complete holes in the letters (because I'm lazy and didn't want to have to glue the centers on) but still be super pretty. Cotillion fit the bill. I used my Scor-Pal to score about 1/4-inch on all four sides to make a sort of frame. Adhesive flat-back pearls from Michaels were adhered to the corners. Using the same purple, I punched a scalloped strip with a Fiskars border punch and adhered tiny flat-back pearls to every other scallop. I adhered a strip of cream trim from my stash, and adhered that to the pearl paper.
For the hearts, I stamped one of the borders from Papertrey's Damask set in Versamark and heat embossed it with Stampendous Detail Gold. Then I adhered the hearts with dimensionals so they'd pop off the page a bit.
I'm glad I used my Cricut again. It hasn't been getting much love lately with my recent stamp obsession. But like I said before, I have to start using what I have, and the Cricut with SCAL affords me so much flexibility, it's silly for it to sit idle.
I'm hoping to try some glass etching this weekend. Maybe Megan and her new hubby will get a late wedding gift (on top of the small token in the card) as well! The glass etching kit is something else I've had for MONTHS and haven't cracked the seal.
As always, thanks for looking!

 

0 comments:


About Me

I'm a 40-something (WAIT...40-something? When did THAT happen?), married mother of two boys. I work full-time outside the home, but spend the little "me" time I have crafting. Oh, and collecting supplies, lol.

My Favorite
Things







www.fiskateers.com

Copyright Info

I post this stuff just to share what I've done, but all content included on my blog is copyright Heather Kosinski, unless the images themselves belong to others. You may copy my ideas to make and sell at craft fairs or to give away, but please give me credit if it was my idea, and please don't submit my ideas for publication, classes, or design contests.

Followers