New Neighbor Gift

This birdhouse is based on a pattern from Nichole Heady's blog. I made an SVG out of it and made a couple of improvements. At least they're improvements for me because I couldn't figure out how to close it without closing it permanently. And then the recipient would have to ruin it to get what's inside. I'm sure there's something I missed, but I made it work for me.

I added a couple of notches in the bottom to thread the ribbon through so it would stay in place. Likewise, I cut notches at the sides of the roof to hold it in place, and I included my holes at the top in my SVG file so I could use my Crop-A-Dile gromlets and not have to cut the center out by myself.

Then I cut the house pattern and roof using SCAL and my Expression. I won't be able to share my pattern (it's not mine to share -- you can go to the blog entry to get it), but it was a PDF, so that's how I was able to make it. It didn't import to Inkscape perfectly, but it's still a shortcut to designing it myself! (Not that I'd come up with the idea.)

I used Papertrey stamps for everything: Polka Dot Basics for the polka dots on the sides and back, Faux Ribbon for the background design on the front, Wishing You for the flowers, dragonfly and sentiment, and Background Basics: Retro for the "tiles" on the roof. I used Colorbox and Versamark chalk inks, Memento (for the sentiment and dragonfly), and Versamark for the roof tiles.

I thought it came out cute! We have new neighbors, and this will be a "welcome" gift to them. I'm debating on whether to put birdseed in a baggie to enclose, or whether to do chocolates or something. Not knowing whether they have a bird feeder, I'm leaning toward the candy. :-)

Thanks for looking!

 

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Very cute! I love the ribbon closure!

Sheri said...

OMG! That is freaking adorable! Woswer!! I cannot tell you hw much I love it!

Billie's Scrappetique said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Heather!

Unknown said...

This is fantastic, TFS!

denise said...

Why cant I have a neighbor like you? I love it!!!!!!

mommaladystamper said...

Love what you did with the birdhouse. Absolutely gorgeous. Alice R.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful - great choice of papers too - what a great gift box - how could you give it away?!
Vicki W.

Jen said...

Very cute Heather!! Don't you just love PTI!?? I know I do!

Anonymous said...

This is really cute. Can think of so many uses for this little bird house. Patsy

KatieTurtle said...

Love love the birdhouse. The papers you selected are fantastic. I would give the candy...

Wendy Kidd said...

This is just beautiful, Heather! You're so talented!

Anonymous said...

Are you able to share the SVG files or did I miss something? This is so beautiful.


About Me

I'm a 40-something (WAIT...40-something? When did THAT happen?), married mother of two boys. I work full-time outside the home, but spend the little "me" time I have crafting. Oh, and collecting supplies, lol.

My Favorite
Things







www.fiskateers.com

Copyright Info

I post this stuff just to share what I've done, but all content included on my blog is copyright Heather Kosinski, unless the images themselves belong to others. You may copy my ideas to make and sell at craft fairs or to give away, but please give me credit if it was my idea, and please don't submit my ideas for publication, classes, or design contests.

Followers